“401, Main Street” Located in the Historic Ora A. Hinckley Building
Our little shop around the corner
Devoted volunteers continue to raise much-needed funds for the library in the historic rooms of the library.
A very important part of the Hyannis Library is the Book Shop located in the Ora A. Hinckley Building right on the Main Street at number 401!
“401, Main Street” is located in the oldest part of the library, a building that was originally a traditional Cape Cod house. It was purchased as a permanent location for the library in 1908 for only $2,500 from the famed James Otis of Hyannis Port. Otis had held the building in trust for the library after purchasing it from the heirs of Dorcas Hallett.
The old sea captain’s house is well over 200 years old, and has served as a library for our community for nearly a century. Many find it worth the trip to the salesrooms just to see the staircase that’s so steep and narrow it resembles one on an old sailing ship.
Faithful volunteers run this enormous fund-raising mission for the Hyannis Library all year ‘round. The Trustees and staff are grateful for their commitment and loyalty.
Please visit “401, Main Street” to see history and dedication first-hand!
The book shop will be open on Saturdays from 10am-2pm beginning April 15th 2017.